top of page

Market Research Group

Public·42 members

Brick For Warm Morning Stoves

The output switch may require attention throughout the day. Before going to bed, the operator should switch the output to its minimum setting. This keeps as much heat in the bricks as possible. Enough will leak out into the room to make it warm in the morning. Only in exceptionally cold circumstances will the operator require output overnight. The operator may wish to slowly increase the output switch during the day to try to maintain the temperature in the house. Increasing the output will allow the heat to convect out of the heater. If the house is empty during the day, the output should be left at a minimum all day and then switched up when returning to the house in order to let more heat escape.

Brick For Warm Morning Stoves

In the US these warmers were called foot stoves and were taken to church on winter Sundays to keep feet warm during long services. It seems the name and style was inspired by the Dutch style of foot warmer, called a stoof or stove, discussed below.

Secondly, convection is not healthy. The dust in the house starts floating around, which irritates the respiratory system. In combination with the drying effect of warm air and by the scorching of dust by the metal surfaces of radiators and stoves, this leads to an unpleasant, alkaline air climate, which can cause headaches.

If you turn on the gas stove, you are almost immediately rewarded with heat. But an oven stove takes a couple of hours before it starts radiating heat. That is not such a problem during long, cold periods, because once the cycle has been started and the stove is stoked shortly each morning, the house is always warm.

I can help you I am born and I grow up and live my 42 years with "Kachelofen". In my house we have one in each room, diferent size and designs, In the beginnings we heat with wood, but than in th early '60 my father change for 'gas methane', it is so comfortable, no allergies, pleasant heat. In the living room the Kachelofen was like a chair, and when you came tired and have cold is so wonderful to stay and warm there, or to heat my pillow before go to sleep. I wish you all to have only one in your home and you will see that nothing compares! The wood, I know that Montreal burn hectars of forest just for the fun and the result is smoggy days, but , instead of "openfires" that just burn the logs, pollute and then you smell like somebody comming from camping, imagine you put just ONE log in your kachelofen, close the little door and you have warm all the night!...because after 1 hour your log is burn, but the hot embers stay till the next morning and heat your kacheloven. So, no more pollution, no more smog, no more forest burn for nothing and you are burn on a side and freeze onthe other side. And they are so beautiful .

In our old log cabin we recently replaced the antique wood cookstove with an Amish built "kitchen Queen cookstove and we placed about 1000 lbs of concrete paving blocks around the perimeter . The stove itself bakes beautifully, cooks better than a gas or electric stove and heats the heavy mass of concrete such that it is still warm in the morning. It heats our house wonderfully. It is a long way from an oven stove but it was a wonderful purchase. We bought it from a dealer in Montana.

Nice article but the thermodynamics of heat transfer is a bit muddled. Comment 14 is addressing the relative wavelength distribution of the light emitted by a blackbody object. He is neglecting the Stefan-Boltzmann Law that states the radiative heat emission per unit area of an object is proportional to the temperature of the object to the fourth power. The net radiant heat transfer is proportional to the fourth power temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. Roberto is correct that colder higher surface area stoves transfer more of their heat by convective and conductive processes (molecular collisions) than radiative processes. If you assume a stove surface temperature of 50 C and a surroundings of 15 C, an emissivity of 0.9 for brick you get a radiant heat transfer rate of approximately 200 watts per square meter, this is too low to account for 90% heat transfer for stoves that have outputs of 15 to 20 kW, even with 10 square meters of surface area. For a hot surface ( iron) stove at 250 C the radiant heat transfer rate is 3500 W/ m2.

FUEL AUTONOMY - you prepare the firewood for winter beforehand, in summer. especially if you're on poorer side, you will have time to plan your finances, see your options, and have time to cut and stock everything up. so, when winter comes, you know you're set. compare this with gas heating, which you need to pay on spot, and where you are dependent on price the provider dictates! such ovens are a blessing for low-income people! I'd like to touch on the stoves being complicated to build. most stoves are indeed a bit challenging as you have to make complicated flues, have special firebricks, mortar and etc.

It would be a rare person who would find loading a stove once in twenty-four hours to be less convenient than adding wood at irregular intervals throughout the day and night. And I know plenty of people who are used to getting up one or more times each night to add wood to their stove, just to keep the house comfortable. Of course, the house is the big problem in that case. But those who don't add fuel to their stoves during the night probably have to start a new fire every morning, so they are starting at least as many fires as the people who own masonry stoves.

Thanks for correcting meThank you, Martin, for showing me the errors in my posting. I guess I, and my friends, need to get better wood stoves (or maybe I just need to get better friends). The wood stove that I use in the workshop will definitely NOT maintain red coals overnight. It's barely warm in the morning. I'm glad to hear that most people you know have stoves that will. That would make a big difference. [And since the Internet is filled with gripes and sarcasm, let me emphasize that none of these words are intended to have inverse or satiric meanings, except the comment about my friends.]

I spent a lot of time at my grandparents and I got used with making the fire daily. I realized how convenient and hassle free the terracotta stoves are only when I have had the chance to fire up a 15th century open fireplace. It was moody; if a certain door was opened the draft brought smoke indoor. It kept you warm only as long as the fire was on and was a real fuel guzzler.

According to the National Weather Service (NWS), an arctic airmass is expected to move across the State beginning late Thursday through Saturday, potentially bringing the coldest wind chills in almost 30 years to locations, including the North Country. NWS predicts a nearly 48-hour period where wind chill temperatures will be below -15 degrees beginning late Friday night and continuing through Saturday. The coldest conditions are expected Friday night and early Saturday morning with wind chill temperatures dropping to as low as -50 degrees in some locations. Conditions should improve Sunday with temperatures warming to normal levels early next week.

Crafted for maximum heating capacity, with Extended Burn Technology for the longest burn time, the Summit is the wood stove of choice for bigger spaces and colder nights that will welcome you in the morning with a warm, glowing fire.

Sometime before the dawn of history, it was discovered that bricks had the distinct ability to temporarily store heat and give it off at a fairly uniform rate. Hence, when your great-grandmother went for a sleigh ride, she first heated a brick and took it along with her as a portable heater. As time went by, people built various kinds of stoves, furnaces, etc., out of brick and made use of this principle to even out the heat output of wood.

In Eastern Europe and parts of Scandinavia, the winters were severe and the problem became acute as the available wood supply became so depleted that at times they had to use straw, brush, or animal dung to keep warm. Taking the heat-storing ability of brick beyond the simple fireplace, they began to build masonry stoves that were enclosed (so that the air supply could be outdoor air rather than the already-heated indoor variety), and they designed the flue so that the hot gasses produced by the fire ran through a long maze of brick. This caused most of the heat to soak into the brick rather than to go up the chimney. As the heat soaks into the bricks, the gasses cool and contract, creating a vacuum which sucks air up from the intake and causes these stoves to have a tremendous draft, thus making them highly efficient burning systems which could be fueled very successfully with most anything burnable.

To keep the house warm, we only have to burn it one to two hours in the morning. Then when there are still a lot of hot coals, we shut down both the damper and the air intake. This traps the hot air in the stove, and it stays hot for about 24 hours and warm for 48 hours. Maximum surface heat comes about 30 minutes after shutting down the stove, so short that very hot burns are the most efficient. When you have reached the maximum heat, additional burning mostly puts heat up the chimney. In the very coldest winter weather, room temperature overnight drops by about three to four degrees. (In very cold weather we usually do an evening burn also.) You do have to be careful not to let the fire go out without shutting it down. If you forget, the cold air continues to circulate through the stove, and you lose much of your heat.

Once you have a hot fire going, there is no visible smoke coming out the chimney. By the time the flue gasses have traveled about 35 feet from the firebox to the ceiling, they are barely warm. The heat all soaks into the bricks. A chimney fire is impossible. I open the two cleanout doors at the bottoms of the flues about once a month and take out the little bit of fly-ash which accumulates there. There is no buildup of creosote, although I do find a little on the inside of the doors occasionally. I believe this forms as the fire is just starting and before it has gotten up to speed. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page